Sunday, March 10, 2013

13.1

Going into 2013, I knew my CF goals would be a little different. I had lost my “crossfit mojo” and I wanted to give myself time off from competing and training.  And after having surgery I knew that the break was inevitable. BUT of course as soon as I was forced to stop training and stop competing, my mojo started to itch.  When registration for the open started I had already known that I wasn’t going to register and that competing 4 weeks post op would be stupid. But the more and more I pushed you guys to sign up because of “how much fun” it was going to be, or how the “journey was an experience,” the more and more I would be convincing myself that I too could not miss this kind of experience. So I said fuck it, and signed up. I could do sit-ups and doubleunders and thought well if 13.1 is Annie then I’m set! Lol

So when the WOD was released and I saw burpees and snatches I thought, oh crap. Lol. I guess the “no pressure” attitude had to work for me and the following day I went into the box and tried to burpee. Ugly, slow, but hey a burpee is a burpee, chest to the ground, up and jump, just get it done. And then I tried snatches, they were much heavier now but felt ok. I was ready for 13.1. (Although my doc might disagree. Lol). What did you guys think when you saw the WOD? What was your initial reaction? Sometimes the best thing is to plan right way, what does your gut tell you? How are you going to approach this wod?
 I wrote on FB the day after I completed it tell you guys that you have to go in there with a plan, with a goal, and to give  yourself time to surpass that. Did it work? Here were my goals… First of all, my initial gut told me that I had 17 mins, and that it was a lot of time. My goal was to get to the 75# snatches and finish all 30 reps. So first the burpees… Some people say to pace yourself on those burpees.. eh, that doesn’t really work for me.  My burpees were pretty slow already since I has to control the way down, and I knew that 1 burpee or 40 burpees, I would be out of breath regardless. So my plan was to go a very controlled balls to the wall. Also, I am a big believer in watching the clock, especially when ur basically running out of time. So my next plan was to get to the 75#s with at least 8 minutes left. And then get off the 75# with enough time to get my burpees in and try out the 100#.  I had already known that I wouldn’t be able to get that 100# up, but I also knew that unless I successfully loaded the bar and at least failed, I would always wonder what if. So I wanted 3 minutes and was focusing on starting my set of 20 burpees at 14:00. Good plan I thought.
Friday morning came along and as I was putting on my wrist straps, I was shitting myself. Lol. I was sooo nervous, I was shaking. I was trying to focus, trying to visualize, trying to remember all the goals I had set. My chalk was where I wanted it, my plates ready to be set up. Then for a second right before “3,2,1,go” I had a moment of clarity and thought WTF am I getting so worked up about?!?! Why am I nervous, why have I just gone over goals and planning and stupid burpee strategies when this is only for fun, when I just had surgery and I knew that there was a chance I wouldn’t be able to even complete the 40 burpees?!!? But then I realized… that is the journey, the experience, the fun that I was talking about. I actually love that “ugh I am about to die” feeling you get right before you hear “go.” So after completing 13.1, I was happy. I had gotten farther than expected but right where I had hoped. I was able to try the 100# twice, and although I didn’t hit it, I knew that I had at least tried it.  I think that setting small goals was key. No matter how new you are to CrossFit, how weak you think you are, or how strong you use to be, it’s fun, it’s the experience, and CrossFit is amazing because you can set your OWN personal goals.
So what were your goals? Did you get as far as you hoped? Did you fight for 17:00? No matter what happen 13.1 is behind you, you are more experienced and the only way to look to toward the future, 13.2.  I am so proud of all my Stormers, you guys are the best… from the rookies to the veterans, everyone should be proud and excited for the rest of the open! Lets do this!

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete