Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Open

So I know you girls have heard of the CrossFit Games. In order to make it to the games there are 2 qualifying stages:  The Open, and Regionals. Well, this week the Open started. It is literally open to anyone in the world that has a computer and can submit results. For 5 weeks, every Tuesday a new WOD will be released and anyone who is signed up can participate. All year round athletes all over the world train like animals, and hype themselves up for this week, its like Christmas for CrossFitters. Well, maybe more like Hanukkah, since the gifts keep on coming. lol. This year I decided I would give it a trial run, best $20 I ever spent on a competition. The excitement, the anticipation, refreshing my screen every hour just to check the Leader Board, (games.crossfit.com)  it makes me fall in love with CrossFit all over again.

When I finally signed up a couple weeks ago, I was super nervous. I know I have A LOT of goats that will stop me from getting far, but I also know that if I don't try I'll be kicking myself in the ass for 5 weeks. lol

So WOD 12.1 was scheduled to be released yesterday at 5pm pacific time. As soon as I woke up, I checked the site... just in case. After that I was counting down all day. Finally at 5pm pacific, I started killing my refresh button. So much so that I actually had to restart my computer because it wasn't letting me into the website. All I could think was please don't be hang cleans or muscle ups ....Caution grounds traumatized me lol. All the nerves, and what is WOD 12.1? 7 min AMRAP of BURPEES! WTF? yup, thats CrossFit! Prepare all you want, work on your goats, lift weights like a Gorilla, but you will NEVER know what they are going to throw at you.

After WOD#1 at Caution Grounds, I learned to NEVER go into a competition without attempting the WOD at least once. So today I attempted it. 3..2..1..GO: After 30 burpees I thought "are you serious!?" I think I even said that out loud, Thank God for loud music. lol. And when I got to 75, I knew I HAD TO get to 100... time to turn on the beast mode. With 1 sec left I dropped to the floor. Exactly 100 Burpees in 7 minutes. I'm going to attempt it one more time on Saturday with you guys. I hope that with everyone hyping each other up that I can get at least 15 more.

So get ready for Saturday. We are ALL going to do Open WOD 12.1  and we are all going to ROCK at it. Hey and if you have $20, go on to games.crossfit.com and sign up, be part of the action. ANYONE can do burpees, right?!

Advice?? ... Protect your knees. Go balls to the wall. Don't allow your mind to tell your body that you are tired. Don't forget to breathe. Make sure you hit that target each time because jumping back up sucks! and #1 ... DONT STOP! This WOD will test your mental toughness, so ask yourself ...how tough are you?!?!

Good luck to everyone competing in The Open. Good Luck to everyone coming to the box on Saturday.

Check out my Athlete Profile on The Games Website. 




2 comments:

  1. Great post mama. I will actually be doing this today cant make it tomorrow. And of course everyone knows i actually like burpees so lets see how i do :)Best of luck to you in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jess: awesome! So how'd it go? ... thanks for the luck- im going to need it !

    ReplyDelete