Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"...but I dont want to get big!"

When I started CrossFit I remember thinking, "wow, I have to lift that bar? with how much weight? wait, wait, wait, but I don't want to get big and look like a guy." I laugh at this thought now, but I'm sure it has crossed everyones mind, and honestly still crosses mine every now and then.

We all know that if we only do cardio, we will loose weight  (woohoo!) but no muscle will be built. Now, if you only do cardio and work really hard on nutrition, eventually you may become thin, which is great- but you will never have that "toned" look. And we're CrossFit chicks! we want a little meat on our bones, and by meat I mean lean beautiful muscle. After all, strong is beautiful right?

You will never look like a man and you will never be able to build muscle up like a man. Men have 20-30 times more testosterone which makes them build muscle differently. -its science! <3

Think of weightlifting as you do nutrition, without it you will eventually get to your goal weight but it will take much, much longer, and in the end might not be the toned physic you want. So my personal theory is this: I want to look like these elite CrossFit girls, and so try and do whatever Coach Lo says about nutrition, I stick to my P.U.M.P. program, and I put up as much weight as possible during strength wods. I know that I will never bulk up because well, its been a year and I am sure now that my genetic make up will never allow me to look bulky. I figure that the more weight I put up, the faster I gain muscle and in turn loose fat.

What I am trying to say is, don't be scared of the bar, don't be scared to put up heavy weight, its only going to help you get to your goals FASTER. Whether you want to lean out, loose weight, tone up, become a CrossFit elite athlete, you need to lift heavy!

So lets get mentally ready for January, Coaches say we have a weightlifting program coming called "5/3/1" Good luck,  Go hard, Go heavy and don't be scared to use that muscle building toward fat burning.

 
...Beautiful, but I have a feeling she doesn't lift heavy. 

 ...Everyone needs an idol and she is mine. Camille Leblanc-bazinet.
She is not scared to go heavy!
Stats: 5'2", 125lbs.
240 lbs
180 lbs
150 lbs
330 lbs.
2:29
Scored 1st place at Regionals, and 12th at the CrossFit Games. Go Cami!


 

23 comments:

  1. Anytime Camille is featured in a blog post, the blog post gets my instant approval. Therefore, I approve of this blog post.

    Will

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's the like button! Good post!

    -Brit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Very inspirational, keep it up. Oh and btw, YOU are my Crossfit idol :) xoxo <3

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Will: You know I HAD to talk about Camille =]

    @ Brit: Thanks! you are not afraid to go heavy! =]

    @ Jenn: You SO sweet!!! =] thank u for all your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said Janetssa. I'm sure when women read this then they won't be scared to go a bit heavier now

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ miggy: Thanks! and no they shouldn't, thats the point!

    Not to talk about Camille...again...lol, but she has a video where she quotes:

    "When I come in the gym watch the bar and I'm scared of that bar but I want that bar to be scared of me"

    I love that she said this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article!! That first pic of that model does not look beautiful at all in my opinion. Camille definetly looks mush better than the model. Skin and bones does not look great on a woman so go and lift heavy we need more strong women in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Janetssa says, "it's science" We are just not made up to bulk up like guys. And all the women you may see out there like female body builders.. probably aren't getting there without illegal substances.. if you know what I mean.

    I am proud to throw up heavy weight at the box with all my girls.
    All I can say is I am stronger, leaner and at least 15 lbs lighter than before I started crossfit.

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well said Janetssa! I am so glad you wrote this today. I had someone tell me yesterday that I am starting to look manly and I needed to put down the weights! I was so upset and angry. I love to throw up the heavy weight, it makes me feel good and strong, and if that means I'm gonna start looking like that girl in the second picture I will take it because she looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ munoz: YES! strong is beautiful! . boys get it. =]

    @ Court: Proud of you too chickie! glad you arn't skurd! lol. And im sure that lifting heavy has helped you drop those 15lbs... and dont forget muscle weights more than fat, & im sure you have gained a whole lot of muscle!

    @ CJ: NEVER let anyone tell you that you are looking too manly! and YES get upset and angry, b/c girl you look amazing! keep throwing up heavy weight, b/c you make it look so easy! you've come such a long way- so proud of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on the blog Janetssa. I think it is pretty awesome. You are an inspiration to many CrossFit Storm Athletes. Keep up all the great work at the box and motivation others. This blog will go a long way, and will help many.

    @ CJ: Hey who ever told you that is just jealous. Only because you are looking great. Tell them its called being "Fit"

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Coach : Thanks coach! All I hope for is just that, to help others! Thank you for our wonderful box. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that the box has changed our lives and has brought us so many amazing people and inspiring coaches. 2012 is a new year and CFS will be stronger than ever! =]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much y'all! That's why I love crossfit storm and everyone there <3 When that happened yesterday I let it affect my whole day and my workout, not gonna let that happen again. Because of your words, Janetssa, I attacked today with a positive attitude and feel great! I can't wait to see what our amazing coaches have coming for us in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great post mama...... as everyone says your an inspiration to many athletes.....and girls like she said earlier everyone will have a day when they need an extra push.....thats when u call up your girls and say get your butt into the box and push me today.... thats what we do for each other and trust me it helps....
    on another note .......eat right, if you dont know anything about nutrition make it a priority to learn about it....PUT WEIGHT ON THE BAR AND JUST LIFT IT..

    REMEMBER the perfect combo is like a triangle :) RECOVERY, WORKING OUT AND NUTRITION.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome post/ blog! I'm working on getting stronger! Lil by Lil! ;) u rock J! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great article!!!!! I am never afraid of lifting the weight and look forward to always challenging myself to heavier weight and to have better form techniques. I am excited about the 5/3/1 program to really document where I start and how strong I can get at the end of the program. Janetssa, keep up the good work and filling our minds with info and knowledge. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ coach Lo : Thanks for posting! thanks for always having the best nutritional advice and for always pushing me to work harder!

    @Jess: Keep pushing that weight and working your perfect form ;) you have alot of power!

    @Milly: thank u ! your such an great athlete, never afraid to lift more than your own BW -thats amazing! Im excited about 5/3/1 also, cant wait to see my lifting get better! =]

    thanks for commenting girls =]

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome Post Janetssa! You have an intelligent way with words. It's an easy and sometimes comical read. Perfect combination!

    I agree with you guys. I don't think the skin & bones is beautiful either. And she probably doesn't feel too healthy either.

    And I definitely agree that watching the Crossfit Games girls perform and even watching many of our Stormer girls perform is inspiration for the rest of us.

    And I definitely would love to keep up with you girls on putting up the weight (100% Rx) at the box. I know its possible because I feel a lot stronger already in the few months I have known you all. Just need more dirt, sweat, and bruises to get there.

    Great comments everyone! Have an awesome day!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Tammy: Girl, you have gotten so strong so fast! Get ready for 5/3/1 because I know you have the potential to surprise all of us! Thanks for commenting! =]

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice read Janet! I know many women who can easily resonate with the implications of this post. I can't tell you how many times I hear the "look like a man" excuse in order to not go heavier or even worse, to not lift at all. I'll have to share.

    Fritz

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ Fritz : thanks! We need to let our girls know that strong girls are sexy ! Thanks for sharing the link on FB, it means a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete