Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Storm Wars 2

So its 2 days before Storm Wars.. your stomach is in knots, its okay, Its normal, and its actually great. Those nerves are going to help you on Saturday. If its your first time competing, congrats.. you've already won in my eyes just by signing up. It takes a whole lot of guts to say that your going to try this thing. So I'll give you the advice your mom is going to give you... "just go out there and have fun!" And shes completely right, you should go out there and have a blast... BUT you should also remember this is a competition, and you don't want to be having so much fun that your doing the salsa in front of your bar, and then later regret not staying focus and giving it your all. So let me tell you what I mean when I say, "have fun".. you are prepped for this, your ready and your going to go out there and give all that you can give, and whether you finish the wod, or get stuck on a lift, you will be very happy with your performance, because you gave it everything you have.

Ill give you guys an example of what happen to me. Last year I went into the summer crush competition just happy that i signed up Rx, I just wanted to have fun! The last WOD was Isabel, 30 snatches @ 95#, with a vest... awesome, i suck at snatches. And i knew i sucked at snatches going into that wod, but I told myself that i would give it my all and try my hardest and have fun with it (while staying focused!). These beasts i was competing with finished the 30 snatches with time to take their vests off and cheer others on, while I failed the lift over and over. For the whole 10 minutes I readjusted, set up again, and attempted the lift, as i failed i would look to the crowd and saw my family, my friends, and my stormers cheering me on. I only got 9 snatches. And i could have stopped before the 10 min cap, gotten super frustrated, and just walked off in defeat, but i didn't. In a lot of peoples eyes, i bombed it.  But in mine, i didn't. I look back at that moment and i am proud that i stuck with it, that although i was dead and completely embarrassed, i fought until the time ran out. ... and because of that, i left feeling like i had a BLAST. It will only be fun if you give it your all, if you come out of there proud and if you stay positive. So have fun during Storm Wars... even if your failing over and over, keep fighting and show everyone and most importantly yourself that you have heart, that you fight til the end, and that no matter what happens you stayed positive.

What competition does is show you what your weakness and strengths are. After summer crush you better believe i worked on my snatches... still working on them actually, still afraid of them, but not afraid to stand up to them. So no matter what happens at storm wars, remember that you too have strengths and weaknesses and this will not be your last competition... so work on those weaknesses and be proud that you had the guts to compete... you can do this, i know it, and you know it. So keep smiling =], its gonna be fun.

So back to 2 days before storm wars... what should you expect, what should you do, feel, whatever.... First of all, don't change your routine. if you normally don't carb load, then don't carb load, if you normal don't take extra supplements, then don't take anything. The only thing i recommend to everyone is to drink water, starting now... more than anything its going to be hot... and remind yourself of that when your woding... "you are not tired, you are just hot!" Expect to be hot, expect to be tired, expect for the weight to feel heavy.... all normal. Just accept all these things, realize it feels heavy for EVERYONE (yes, even that guy in 1st) and just keep pushing hard.

Go work out tomorrow, just don't go too heavy or rip your hands on the bar. Take Friday as an active rest  day.. go for a run, row, swim, play basketball, whatever... and stretch. Go to bed at a decent time because you have to be there by 7. And on game day, Have your normal breakfast. pack a little cooler with water, lunch, maybe some oranges and a chair. Bring your friends and family to come out and watch you, a little pressure will help.  and most importantly.... "HAVE FUN!"  ;)

2 comments:

  1. no one could of said it better than you just did. Your blogs are great, inspiring, motivating ... Just plain awesome. I feel great today and I'm very exciting of saying tht I'm competing in RX! It has taking a lot out of me to sign up for RX but with all the help and guidance from you and all the other coaches I feel ready. I don't care if I don't place, all I care is that I give it my all game day and that my fellow Stormers coaches family are there just I see how I have improved an to cheer me on. Last year in storm wars I didn't finish wod 3 an I don't want that to happen this time. I'm going to push and like crossfittrrs say... "balls to the walls" . Thanks for all your support and taking the time in writin this blog to get us mentally prepared for this event. It's greatly appreciated!!

    Storm Wars..... Bring it on baby!!! :)

    ReplyDelete