Monday, January 9, 2012

Hand Care by CJ





Almost everyones very first goal when they start CrossFit is to get those dam kipping pull ups! and we all know the secret to getting them: practice, practice, practice! But practicing those kips come at a price- blisters, hand tears, and blood. CJ has hand care down to a science! So here is a post she wrote, on how to take care of your hands to keep them looking nice & smooth ;)  Thanks CJ! enjoy:


So that very first moment when I got of the pull up bar and looked down at my hand with huge tears in them, I thought to myself now I am a true CrossFitter Whoo hoo! And I know I’m not the only one that has thought that! Well that thought didn’t last long though. I vividly remember siting on a stack of boxes trying to hold back my tears for close to half an hour. It was the worst feeling in the world, and after that I started to find ways to take care of my hands because I refuse to wear gloves!    
        
I use many tools that I have found work best for me. I still get the occasional tear but typically recover from it fast and back at it two days later. So I am pretty sure most us girls go get pedicures pretty often, I know I do! All the cool things they use on the bottom of your feet I used on the palms of my hands. I know it sounds silly but it works.

The first time you try I suggest not doing pull ups for a day or two after because your hands will be soft and might tear. While I am in the shower after my hands are nice and moist I use pumice stone on all my calluses and a foot callus shaver (looks like sandpaper on each side). The callus shaver will tear at the callus and shred the skin a little but it doesn’t hurt. Afterwards while my hands are still soft I take that cheese grater looking thingamajig (that is Janetssa’s name for it lol I have no idea what it is really called) and scrap off the skin. When you are done with that use a finer nail file to soften up and then apply lotion! I do this two to three times a week now and while my hands aren’t your typical girl hands I don’t tear them up that often anymore.
By Carolynn Rendon, cjrend014@gmail.com






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post CJ! When I first started my hands would rip EVERYTIME! and the pull ups weren't what hurt, it was the shower after that killed me! I've even taken gloves from work and worn them to shower! lol. These are some great tips on hand care, thanks alot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff CJ. I personally dont like for my hands to feel like a mans hand. So i'll give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete