Friday, December 23, 2011

One Year Later

A year ago, I couldn't say that I was all too happy with what was going on in my life. I was desperate to find what I called then "something positive" to fill my time with, and even more desperate to loose my "freshman 15" which at that point was something more like a 25lbs. lol. I heard about CrossFit through Coach Manny and all I really knew is that it was some sort of circuit training, and I was in. I thought this could be that "something positive" I was looking for.... and turns out, it is.

I've come a long way since January when I started at Storm. From not knowing what "WOD" meant, to my first Butterfly sit-up Butt-rash lol, to practicing everyday post-wod for 2 months just to get my Kips. (woohoo), to competing in my very first competition ...and winning =]. As an athlete I can physically see how CrossFit has changed me, got down to my goal weight and everything =] but more importantly I can feel how CrossFit has changed who I am. Because of crossfit, I smile brighter, I laugh harder, and I appreciate more. Because of CrossFit, I can actually feel myself wanting to be a better person, wanting to become the strong beautiful woman I know I have inside of me. I owe alot to CrossFit and especially to CrossFit Storm. I cant explain it, but I have a feeling you understand completely.

2 comments:

  1. I remember when Janetssa first walked into the box. She really had no clue what she was getting herself into. While doing her intros and teaching her the philosophy behind CrossFit, I knew there was something special about her. She was a go getter. Something we like to call in the community a "FUKING NINJA" a "FIREBREATHER". She was not content with being just average, she wanted to be the best. I remember her spending countless hours after WODs practicing certain movements, whether it was weightlifting or gymnastics. I use to tell her "don't over train yourself" but she was determined. From watching her getting her first Kipping Pull-Up to RXing Fran, that fire was building inside her. You can tell she found something she truly loved. But something happened that none of us expected. She fell off the bar. I remember seeing the sad look on her face when Dr.'s told her see needed surgery. It felt like they were telling me. She cried not cause of the pain, but because she's come so far since that first day back in January, that she thought it was the end of the road. Dealing with injuries and surgeries myself I told her "Keep your head up. Your going to come back stronger and better than before." Boy was I wrong. She came back with a vengeance. I use to see her WOD with the pins and brace on her hand and I would cringe my teeth hoping to GOD every time that she wouldn't hurt herself and delayed her process. But that fire was getting bigger. Then came "Clash Of The Fittest". WOD after WOD she gave everything she had in her. I remember watching her from the barricades with such a smile on my face cause as painful as it may look to others, I knew she was loving every moment of it. I thought to myself those first couple of days when she first started at the box. The nerves she use to get before WODs, the anticipation of next days WOD. She blew everyone out of the water. Seeing her stand on the very top of the podium, with the face of happiness but exhaustion, she felt complete. Janet I'm so proud of you in more ways than you can imagine. Your passion and desire to better yourself and others around you inspires others to do the same. I can honestly say as a CF Coach and Athlete you motivate me to be a better Crossfitter but also a better person. I will always be there to cheer you on, and keep reminding myself of the scared little girl that came in that January and listen to me talk about CrossFit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Thanks Coach J, this is beautiful. Im glad I can make you so proud! =]

    ReplyDelete